Situated in a valley surrounded by Wellers Hill and Tarragindi Hill, bisected by Sandy Creek and adjoining Ekibin Creek, Tarragindi (4121) was named for an escaped Kanaka who later worked for Alfred Foote in Ipswich and then went on to clear land for William Grimes. Tarragindi was first settled in 1857 when George Pratten surveyed the land. Thomas Stevens opened a woolscour followed by a fell intern and James Toohey leased property for cattle. During World War II a field hospital was set up, first for the American army then The British and Australians. This was later repurposed as a housing commission estate, although nothing remains of it today.
Tarragindi has three schools and in 2011, had 9950 residents with an average age of 37 years with almost all being Anglo-Australian except for a notable minority of South Africans. English was the primary language spoken at home with Greek a second language for a minority.