What are Building Inspections?
Building Inspection is a generic term covering any type of inspection made of a building. At ABIS we are specialists in undertaking the following types of Building Inspection:-
Pre-Purchase Building Inspections Conducted to Australian Standard AS4349.1
Pre-Purchase Building Inspections Conducted to Australian Standard AS4349.1 Combined with a Pre-Purchase Timber Pest Inspection conducted to AS4349.3Pre-Sale Building and Timber Pest Inspections
New Build Handover Inspections
New Build Stage Inspections
Everything deteriorates with time and use. Construction standards, building codes, build quality, and types of materials employed also change with the passage of time. In generals terms, building inspections visually inspect the readily accessible parts of a building with a view to identifying defects or problems that may be of interest to a client. Regless of the purpose of the inspecton, it is important that it is carried out by an inspector with a trained eye and with extensive knowledge of local construction practices over many years. Pre-Purchase Building Inspection is a highly specialised decipline and cannot by succesfully undertakedn by a builder who has not been extensively trained over many years.
Whilst not an exhaustive list, a typical building inspection will attempt to identify any of the following:-
- Structural Cracking and Movement
- Timber Pest Damage
- Defective Plumbing
- Defective Roof Plumbing & Flashings
- Defective/Bridged Damp Proof Course
- Untradesmanlike Work
- Use of Inappropriate Materials
- Trees and Shrubs Corrosion
- Inadequate Ventilation
- Defects in Secondary and Finishing Elements
- Internal Secondary & Finishing Element Defects
- External Secondary & Finishing Element Defects
- Incomplete Construction
- Safety Issues
- Any items that the Inspector thinks may be a hazard to safety during the completion of building inspections
Please note the above is just a guideline - there might be other issues discovered during the completion of
building inspection that may be included in your building and pest inspection report.
When are Building Inspections Necessary?
There are many different circumstances when you may need a building inspection including:
What do Building Inspections Include?
Most building inspections in Queensland include a physical inspection and report, ABIS's building inspections include the following:
- A visual inspection of the readily accessible areas of the propertyy, including tests such as probing, sounding and the use of moisture meters, by a QBCC licensed inspector.
- A full Building and Pest Inspection to AS4349.1 and AS4349.3 (NOT including a pool inspection)
- Thermal Imaging to uncover any hidden damage
- A comprehensive and thorough report with high resolution photographs.