Located 16 km to Brisbane’ s southeast and initially called Spring Creek, Kuraby (4112) was named for its rail station established in 1889 and formally recognised in 1975. The area was first settled by the Bakers and Hollosons as farming land, although the land ranges from steep hills with poor soil to low-lying land with fertile soil. Today’s Glen Hotel was opened in 1865 by Charles Baker and was once a resting post for Cobb & Co coaches on route way to Beenleigh. In 1931 Kuraby became well known for hosting the Royal Train of Duke and Duchess of York for an evening during their tour of Australia.
Young families are increasingly moving into Kuraby, attracted by its facilities including schools, and child care, medical centres, a community centre run by volunteers, and numerous parks catering for a range of sporting and leisure activities as well as protected native habitats for many wildlife species. Kuraby is also readily accessible to Brisbane via motorways, busways and rapid electric rail.
In 2011, 7800 people lived in Kuraby their average age is 33 years. Although a few residents can trace their heritage back to early settlers, many residents are from diverse parts of the world including India, China, and South Africa, with languages such as Arabic, Urdu, Hindi, Cantonese, and Mandarin spoken alongside English at home. There is also a Muslim mosque and a Buddhist temple in Kuraby.