Located in the Moreton Bay Area, 60 km north of Brisbane and about 25 km north east of Caboolture, Donnybrook (4510) was formally named in 1975 although it originated much earlier as a small fishing village which later developed as a weekend destination for tourists. It’s post office was opened in 1958. In 1985, the road along its waterfront was sealed and named after a well known local, Robert Grant. Because Donnybrook adjoins Pumicestone Passage, fishing is a popular pastime, although surrounding waters have been gazetted as a marine park to protect the dolphins, turtles and dugongs which are regularly seen to frequent the area. Sites for camping and caravanning are available and water sports such as sailing, canoeing, and wind surfing are also catered for.
Donnybrook is a small town with 460 people as of 2011. Residents were notably older retirees, originating fro a broad range of countries including Australia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Germany. English was spoken primarily at home with the notable exception of Greek.