Browns Plains (4118)
Located 24 km south of Brisbane, bisected by Scrubby Creek, and bounded to the west by the Mt Lindsay Highway, Browns Plains (4118) was originally tobacco farming country until the 1950s. George Stretton opened a post office in 1872. A school was opened in 1878 until drought forced its closure in 1902. Telephone was installed in 1938 and the exchange completed in 1968. In 1983 a primary school was built, then a high school in 1985.
It's major shopping centre, the Grand Plaza was opened in 1994 and extended further with more than a hundred large and specialty retail stores, supermarkets, cinemas, medical and community services. As it also hosts a bus terminus, Browns Plains is a major bus transport hub connecting Logan and Brisbane.
In 2011, 5500 people lived in Browns Plains, their average age is 30 years. Most residents were Anglo-Australian, with those born in the Philippines being an exception. Although English was spoken predominantly, Spanish, Samoan, Vietnamese, and Mandarin were also spoken as .a second language at home.