Located 16 km to Brisbane’s southwest, Richlands (4077) was originally Richland Housing Estate accompanying a small one-teacher school opened in 1934. Its current name was formally recognised in 1975. Early industries were dairying and poultry farming, honey and grape growing. Richlands is home to a large number of clubs including football, tenpin bowling, tennis, and a pony club. It also hosted the last remaining drive-in theatre operational from the late 1970s to 2000.
In 2011, 2100 people were resident, their average age being 29 years. Almost half were born overseas in countries including Philippines, India, and Vietnam so that a broad range of languages other than English are spoken at home such as Vietnamese, Italian, Hindi, Spanish, and Samoan.