In the Redland Bay area, about 20km south-east of Brisbane, Birkdale (4159) was originally settled in 1880 by William Thorne and named after his ancestral home in England.
In the 1920s it became known for its poultry farming. Since then, a railway station has been established with regular services to Brisbane for residents of an upmarket canal estate. Retirement villages have been developed and a major shopping centre incorporating large retailers has been established. There are several schools and most importantly, a large waste transfer station for recycling refuse. Birkdale has an active sporting community with cricket, football, scouts, and various youth groups. On the downside, the area is also regularly subjected to severe storms with destructive hail and high winds.
In 2011 about 14,000 people called Birkdale home, their average agent 39 years being slightly older than the Australian average. 85% of residents were of Anglo-Australian heritage, being born in Australia, New Zealand or England, with South Africans being a notable minority group. English was primarily spoken at home with Dutch being the second language for 1%.