Located just 4 km to Brisbane’s north-west, Ashgrove (4060) is an exclusive hilly and leafy suburb well known for its traditional sprawling homes on large blocks. Despite increasing high density development across Brisbane, Ashgrove continues as a secluded pocket of prestigious detached homes. Originally, Ashgrove was a farming area until land sales in the area in 1856 until 1875 at which time a school and post office were built. Trams serviced Ashgrove from 1920 until 1968.
Today, Ashgrove is home to many cafes and restaurants of diverse cultures, several neighbourhood shopping centres and community facilities. It also hosts a number of sporting clubs including one of Brisbane’s oldest football clubs, a cricket club first formed in the early 1900s,a lawn bowls club, and a scouting group. There are about six schools in the suburb, of which two are well known Catholic colleges opened in the early 1940s.
Ashgrove is well serviced by transport, including multiple buses into Brisbane and surrounding suburbs and extensive walk and bicycle ways through parklands which ultimately connect Ashgrove to Brisbane city and the Royal Brisbane Hospital as many medical professionals live in the area.
In 2011, about 13000 people lived in Ashgrove, their average age being 34 years. Residents were predominantly Anglo-Australian and spoke English almost exclusively at home.