Habitable Room and Legal Ceiling Heights

ABIS The 1st Choice in Building and Pest Inspections

ABIS Building and Pest Inspections Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast, Moreton Bay and Redland Bay

ABIS | Brisbane Building and Pest Inspectors with 360+ 5 Star Reviews

Looking for a building and pest inspection conducted to the highest standard by Building Inspectors with 10 years experience together as a team combined with the highest professional qualifications in their field?

1 in every 20 Queensland home owners has trusted their building and timber pest inspection to ABIS over the past 27 years, making ABIS the first choice in building and pest inspections.

Our highly recommended home inspectors are all long term trusted employees not sub-contractors. ABIS House Inspectors are supported by a unique computer aided inspection system and the latest inspection equipment such as high sensitivity thermal cameras.

When you book an ABIS pre-purchase building and pest inspection, our friendly local team will make the whole process easy for you. Our customer service team can answer all your questions at the time of booking, make all the access arrangements for you and you will be sent an email to confirm the inspection time along with a pre-engagement letter which outlines the scope of the inspection. Good communication and confidence in your choice of Building Inspector are key to you getting the most out of your building and pest inspection process.

We are always happy to answer all your questions and you are most welcome to be on site when we do the inspection as there are very few opportunities to visit the property prior to settlement. That being said, ABIS reports are conducted with the absent purchaser in mind to provide piece of mind regardless of your buying circumstances. Our good old fashioned service approach and extensive building knowledge, combined with our in house unique systems and processes means you get your full digital photo report the same day as your inspection along with a call from your building and pest inspector to discuss the findings.

Call the ABIS Customer Service Team on 07 3804 1000 to get a competitive quote and our teams first availability and let us handle it from there.

Book My Inspection Now

According to the "Building Code of Australia" a Habitable Room is:

"A room used for normal domestic activities and

  • Includes a bedroom, living room, lounge room, music room, television room, kitchen, dining room, sewing room, study, playroom, family room, home theatre, and sunroom; but,
  • Excludes a bathroom, laundry, water closet, pantry, walk-in wardrobe, corridor, hallway, lobby, photographic darkroom, clothes drying room, and other spaces of a specialised nature occupied neither frequently nor for extended periods."

Building Code Ceiling Heights

A room or space within a building must have sufficient height suitable for the intended function of that room or space. According to BCA Vol 2 part 3.8.2, for the requirement to be satisfied, the ceiling height must not be less than:

  • in a habitable room excluding a kitchen - 2.4 m and
  • in a kitchen, laundry or the like - 2.1m and
  • in a corridor or passageway or the like - 2.1m and
  • in a bathroom, shower room, laundry, sanitary compartment, pantry, storeroom, garage, car parking area etc - 2.1m and
  • in an attic, room with a sloping ceiling or projection below ceiling line or non-habitable room or similar - a height that does not unduly interfere with the proper functioning of the room or space. More than 50% of the ceiling space should be on average a minimum height.
  • in a stairway - 2.0m measured vertically above the nosing line.

Otherwise, the room would be deemed to be a "utility room".

Technically the height is measured from the finished floor covering to the underside of ceiling or lowest protrusion of the ceiling.  If you are trying to determine whether you can build in an area - ensure you take into consideration what you are going to put on the floor.

If there is any doubt about a ceiling height - you should speak to your local council:


*Disclaimer: We do not provide professional advice nor services related to any infrastructure planning and building.
Please refer to your local city council for more information.