Woody Point (4019)
About 25 km to the north of Brisbane, Woody Point (4019) on the Redcliffe peninsula was previously a banana plantation. Once a sleepy seaside retreat for day trippers and only accessed by day ferry or boat, Woody Point became very popular when it was rendered more easily accessible with the construction of the Hornibrook bridge linking it to the rest of the mainland via Brighton. Woody Point's parkland along its foreshore was reclaimed in the 1970s.
Now under population pressure from Brisbane sprawl and retirees downsizing to the seaside, Woody Point has undergone an urban revival with the construction of several high rise apartment buildings, refurbishment of the Belvedere Hotel, the opening of more restaurants and cafes and upgrading of its jetty (originally built in 1888) and park facilities. Woody Point is also noted for its shipwreck of the HMQS Gayundah, its croquet club and because of its proximity to the bay, its fishing, yachting and outrigger canoe clubs.
Woody Point strives to maintain its small seaside village feel with a small high street shopping precinct. In 2011, about 4100 people lived in Woody Point, their average age is 37 years. Most are of Anglo-Australian descent and speak only English at home.