Located only 2 km west of Brisbane city primarily between Milton Road beside the western rail and Coronation Drive beside the Brisbane River, Milton (4064) is a mix of industrial, commercial, retail and residential, both single and multiple dwelling. Its proximity to the Brisbane River has made Milton vulnerable to flooding as occurred in 2010. Milton was first settled in the 1840s as farming and grazing land and named after the poet by Ambrose Eldridge, a chemist. Trams serviced the suburb from 1927 until 1969 when they were withdrawn after a fire in the depot, then replaced by buses. The tram workshops were demolished initially to make way for a bus commuter car park then an office block.
Similarly, a trolley-bus operated between 1951 and 1969 at which time the depot was demolished to make way for the Suncorp Stadium. In the same area, the Arnotts biscuit factory was demolished in the 1990s. Milton is also home to the Castlemaine Perkins brewery, a district of restaurants and cafes, Brisbane's main tennis courts which were closed in 1990s, and a bowling alley closed in 2008 after 45 years for a major parkland redevelopment. Milton has ready access to both Ipswich and Brisbane by regular rail services.
In 2011, about 2000 people lived in Milton, their average age being 30 years. Although residents were predominantly Anglo-Australian with a minority from South Africa and India. Apart from English; Spanish, Mandarin, Italian, and Nepali were spoken as secondary languages at home.