Eight Mile Plains (4113)
Located about 15 km south of Brisbane and one of the earliest areas settled, Eight Mile Plains (4113) was named for its flat terrain and its distance to One Mile Swamp, now Woolloongabba.
In 1857 Charles Baker bought land and built a hotel which became a staging post for Cobb & Co on route to Logan and Nerang. In 1864 an agricultural reserve was established in the area. Electricity was delivered in 1936 and a school was opened in 1958. In 1932 Brig. Langford subdivided his property into blocks which then became residential estates. However, there are still remnants of native bushland and small vegetable gardens.
Originally Eight Mile Plains was much larger, extending south into Logan, however, in the 1970s Underwood and Rochedale were excised with Wishart following in the 1990s. Eight Mile Plains is readily accessible to Brisbane and surrounding suburbs via Pacific and Gateway Motorways, and Busways. It has several schools but is best known for its Brisbane Technology Park opened in 1986 and a State Government initiative to encourage the development of knowledge-based technology industries.
In 2011, 13400 people lived in Eight Mile Plains, their average age is 32 years, with over half of residents born overseas in China, Taiwan, Korea, and India with Korean, Mandarin Punjabi, Greek, and Cantonese spoken alongside English at home.