Coopers Plains (4108)
Located 11 km to Brisbane's southwest, Coopers Plains (4108) was originally known as Cowper's Plains after Dr Henry Cowper of the Moreton Bay Convict Settlement from 1823 to 1832. However, this name evolved into today's version which became formal in 1876 with the opening of the first post office. The area was primarily rural until army barracks were built in 1942 adjacent the railway station which was opened in 1885.
Coopers Plains is also well serviced by various bus routes and is home to a large public hospital, the Queen Elizabeth II Jubilee Hospital as well as being close to the Griffith University. Also, a health and food services precinct has been recently established as a research facility for Queensland Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry in collaboration with CSIRO, Queensland University, and the Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation.
In 2011, 4200 people lived in Coopers Plains, their average age is 34 years. Only about half of the residents were born in Australia, the others being from India, Philippines, and China with Cantonese, Vietnamese, Punjabi, Mandarin, and Hindi spoken at home alongside English.