Located 17 km to Brisbane's south-west, on the Brisbane River and bisected by Moggill Road, Bellbowrie (4070) is semi-rural but developing fast. Urbanisation commenced in the 1970s but was slowed by the Brisbane flood of 1974 during which Bellbowire was inundated. With the advent of the Wivenhoe Dam, this threat has been reduced by and development encouraged so that what was once pineapple farm is increasingly becoming a housing estate.
Bellbowire is also the site of the Moggill Cemetery which began as a church graveyard in 1855 and was formally recognised as a cemetery in 1865. To accommodate its residents, Bellbowrie has a multitude of recreational facilities including parks, boat ramps, several schools, numerous community groups including scouts, football, cricket, netball, soccer, tennis, and swimming sporting clubs and a community shopping centre.
In 2011, 5400 people lived in Bellbowrie, their average age is 37 years. Most residents were Anglo-Australian, although a minority were born in South Africa or India with Afrikaans spoken alongside English at home.